Students, residents, fellows in the School of Medicine are invited to submit abstracts of quality improvement and patient safety projects for presentation. Abstracts will be judged by a faculty committee with a few top abstracts selected for oral presentation and the remainder for poster presentation. Poster presentations will be judged for awards the day of the conference. Up to 5 clinical vignettes will be accepted for poster presentation on a space-available basis, and should address quality and safety with a specific focus on transitions of care. Clinical vignette posters will not be judged.
These are the criteria for judging abstracts:
- Background. The background provides a good argument for the need of the QI project and describes the significance of the project relevant to clinical practice.
- Methods. The methods are described in detail and there is evidence of systematic analysis of error and/or approach to improvement.
- Data and analysis. The data analysis plan is appropriate to the purpose of the QI project. The data are complete and clearly presented in the poster.
- Value and conclusions. The conclusions are appropriate given the results and there is discussion of sustainability and/or application to other institutions.
- Limitations. The limitations of the QI project are discussed.
- Abstract titles should match the title of the oral/poster presentation and abstracts should be no more than 350 words in length (excluding title and references).
- Student presentations should be approved by the faculty mentor in advance.
- Student, Resident and Fellow abstracts are due by midnight on Monday, April 9, 2019. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Applicants will be notified by email by 4/27/2019 if their presentation is accepted. Faculty mentors will also be notified.
To register and submit your project abstract, please click on the following link: http://j.mp/2EjGTNN
2017 Speakers & Presentations
Niraj Sehgal, MD, MPH
Vice President and Chief Quality Officer, UCSF Health
Dr. Niraj Sehgal is a hospitalist, a Professor of Medicine, and the Vice President & Chief Quality Officer for UCSF Health. Over the years, his academic interests have focused on improving healthcare systems by leading initiatives that foster teamwork & communication, promote a culture for learning and improvement, and support workforce development as key strategies to deliver better patient outcomes.
His past leadership roles include directing a hospital medicine service, developing a faculty development program, directing a portfolio of physician leadership programs, leading quality/safety in the Department of Medicine, and serving as an editor the federally-funded patient safety website, AHRQ Patient Safety Network. Many of these programs led to peer-reviewed publications and opportunities to speak nationally about quality, safety, and models for academic engagement, particularly around methods to cultivate a closer marriage between the clinical and educational enterprises.
Niraj graduated from Washington University in St. Louis, earned his medical degree from Rush University in Chicago and a Master’s in Public Health from UC Berkeley. He was a resident and chief resident at Stanford University before completing a health services research fellowship at the Stanford Prevention Research Center. He was later a selected fellow of the California Healthcare Foundation Leadership Program and also recognized for his teaching and mentoring excellence with induction into UCSF’s Academy of Medical Educators. Niraj is a Chicago native and a diehard Chicago sports fan though he and his family now prefer the outdoors of Northern California over the Midwest winters.
- Jacob Rash, MS5, Alyssa Fesmire, MD, Marissa Mendez, MD, Scott Sagraves, MD — Administration of Tetanus Toxoid in Trauma Patients at St. Luke’s Hospital
- Akash Jani, MS3, Steven Phillips, Ankhita Samuel, Lawrence Dall, MD — Incidence of Nosocomial C. Diff Infection on Inpatients with Reduced Fluoroquinolone Regimens
- Rakesh Ponnapurreddy, MD, Talal Asif, MD, Laith Derbas, MD, Alexandra Roman, MD, Reza Roohanirad, MD, Scott Reifeiss, MD, Rehman Ukani, MD, David Wooldridge, MD, Julie Banderas, PharmD — Improving Depression Screening in the Primary Care clinics
- Mahathi Indaram, MD, Emily Tylski, MD, Zafar Ali, MD, Christa Soekamto, MD, Marjan Nazer, MD, Julie Banderas, PharmD, Reem Mustafa, MD, David Wooldridge, MD — Compliance Rates of Contact Precautions for Patients with Clostridium Difficile Infection – An Observational Study
- Benjamin Bernard, MS3, Elizabeth George, MD — From Acute Care to Extended Care: a Discharge Dilemma
- Kayla Briggs, MS6, Prashant Pandya, DO, Benjamin Powers, MD — Improving Access to Specialty Care in the Veterans Affairs Medical System: Early Experiences in the Formation of a Hepatopancreatobiliary Referral Center
- Sanju Eswaran, MS5, Nathan Harris, MD, Mark Bernhardt, MD — Is Scheuermann’s Infraction of Adolescence a Predisposition to the Development of Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis Syndrome as an Adult?
- Hunter Faris, M4S, Matt Decker, MS4, Larry Dall, MD — Failure to Follow-up Abnormal Radiographic Findins in Pulmonary Nodules at Truman Medical Center
- Ravali Gummi, MS5, Mrigank Gupta, MS5, Imran Nizamuddin, MS4, Ahsan Hussain, MS4, Sarah Alshami, MS4 — Breaking Barriers to Serve the Underserved
- Mrigank Gupta, MS5, Melvin Yeung, MS5, Rose Farnan, RN, Lawrence Dall, MD — Implications of Changing Demographics of HIV in the Kansas City Transitional Grant Area
- Akash Jani, MS, Steven Phillips, Ankhita Samuel — Incidence of nosocomial C. diff infections in 60 years or older patients given probiotics
- Diana Jung, MS3, Cassidy Onukwuli, MS3, Shiva Reddy, MS3, Larry Dall, MD — Improving Care of Hip Fracture Patients in Extended Care Facilities
- Kelly Kapp, MS5, Shikhar Tomur, MS5, Harris Zamir, MS5, Larry Dall, MD — Glycocalyx Production by Viridans Streptococci Causing Endocarditis
- Lakshmi Katta, MS5, Adam Kisling, MS5, Nikita Potturi, MS5, Amena Mohiuddin, MS5, Larry Dall, MD — Evaluating Alarm Fatigue in a Community Hospital and Strategies to Reduce Alarm Fatigue
- Laura Meidl, MS4, Julia Harris, MD — Quality Improvement Project to Improve the Influenza Vaccination Rates among Pediatric Rheumatology Patients Taking Immunosuppressive Medications
- Carlee Oakley, MS5, Elina Sagaydak, MS5, Nilbhi Patel, MS5, Larry Dall, MD — Malnutrition: The Forgotten Diagnosis
- Binoy Shah, MS4, Cindy Jiang, MS4, Niraj Madhani, MS4, Larry Dall, MD — Sensitivity of Procalcitonin Levels in Patients with Viridans streptococci Endocarditis
- Claire Smith, MS5, Angela Nwankwo, MS5, Larry Dall, MD — Addressing Barriers to Cervical Cancer Screening in the HIV/AIDS Population
- Shikhar Tomur, MS5, Dan Chernoff, MD, Dane Church, MD, Jonathan Dubin, MD — MRI Overutilization in the Evaluation of Patients Aged 50 Years and Older with Mechanical Knee Pain
- Sai Vanam, MS5, Raveena Basra, MS5, Anchana Dominic, MS5, Harris Zamir, MS5, John Foxworth, PharmD, Larry Dall, MD — Nutrition Risk Index: Identifying Malnourishment and its Associated Risk Factors
- Hima Veeramachaneni, MS6, Himachandana Atluri, MS6, Ian Greenberg, MS6, Raj Shah, MD, Mudassar Zia, MD, Jennifer Quaintance, PhD, Betty Drees, MD — Evaluating Medical Student Pre-Diabetes Knowledge Before and After Implementation of Educational Intervention in the Ambulatory Care Setting
- Tania Ahluwalia, MD, Shobhit Jain, MD, Angela Myers, MD — Reducing Rapid Streptococcal Pharyngitis Testing in Patients Less than 3 Years Old
- Simran Arora, MD, Mara Horwitz, MD, Jamesia Durden, MD, Joshua Lester, Sara Gardner, MD, Shubra Srinivas, MD — Improving Clinic Continuity in a Resident Run Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Primary Care Clinic
- Jeremy Avila, MD, Molly Uhlenhake, MD — An assessment of nonuse of the online patient portal at Truman Medical Center’s Red Clinic.
- Waled Bahaj, MD, R. Imperial, MD, O. Kaddourah, MD, Z. Shmaisani, MD, S. Khan, MD, J. Pham, MD, B. Bhardwaj, MD, R. Mustafa, MD, Julie Banderas, PharmD, David Wooldridge, MD — Improving the Satisfaction for Electrocardiogram (EKG) Reporting
- Amine Bourbia, MD, Hisham Elsherbiny, MD, Hani Alturkmani, MD, Merrill Thomas, MD, Hussein Asad, MD, Angela Kline-Couch, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD, David Wooldridge, MD — Implementation of Evidence-based Telemetry Parameters: Methodology
- Jay Crockett, DO, Kristen Fickenscher, MD, Amie Robinson, MD, Dan Smock, MD — Transformation of the MR Safety Culture at Children’s Mercy Hospital
- Christina Davis-Kankanamge, MD, Jeannette Higgins, RN, Tazim Dowlut-McElroy, MD, Julie Strickland, MD — Experience with Flexible Vaginoscopy, Insights from an Ongoing Quality Improvement Project
- Alyssa Fesmire, MD, Marissa Mendez, MD, Wayne Mashas, Md, Scott Sagraves, MD — A Proposed Treatment Algorithm for Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections
- Kelsee Halpin, MD, Jennifer Boyd, DO, Ryan McDonough, DO, Tiffany Musick, DO, Joseph Cernich, MD — Using the Electronic Health Record to Improve Screening and Management of Dyslipidemia in Pediatric Type 2 Diabetes Patients
- Wilson Harrison, MD, Bryan David, MD, Molly Carnahan, MD, Joann Paul, RN — Perceptions versus Reality for following Clostridium Difficile Barrier Precautions in Surgical Patients
- Matthew Marr, MD, Megan Frazier, RN, Farzad Alemi, MD — Improving access to patient supplies
- Marissa Mendez, MD, Alexandra Bors, MD, Robert Corn, MD, Kelly Kapp, MS4, Fatima Sharif, MS4, Farzad Alemi, MD — Addressing Barriers to Reporting Needlesticks Among Surgical Residents
- Liza Murray, MD, Mary Moffatt, MD, Andrea Raymond, BA-HCM, RRT-NPS — Reducing Secondary Traumatic Stress Among Workers Routinely Exposed to Abused Children
- Barbara Nguyen, MD, Khang Le, MD, Jordan Myhre, MD, Aaron Sparks, MD, David Shanberg, MD, Joann Paul, RN — Reducing Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI): Use of Chlorhexidine for Universal Bathing
- Parth Patel, MD, Ryan Eckert, MD, Badar Hasan, MD, Yazan Ghanem, MD, Sara Blake, MD, Saad Ashraf, MD, Julie Banderas, PharmD, Reem Mustafa, MD, David Wooldridge, MD — Improving Compliance with Guideline Recommended Screening Measures of Health Maintenance in TMC-HH clinics: Continuation of a QI Project
- Madhuri Ramakrishnan, MD, Sibghat Tul Llah, MD, Siva Taduru, MD, Abdallah Abdelrazeq, MD, Punita Grover, MD, Mohammad Tahboub, MD, Eslam Dosokey, MD, Sheena Spielberg, MD, Julie Banderas, PharmD, David Wooldridge, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Improving outpatient follow up within 7-days of discharge after hospitalization for acute heart failure exacerbations: A quality improvement project
- Shubha Deep Roy, MD, Arooge Towheed, MD, Sola Kim, MD, Gautham Kandukurig, MD, Sandeep Reddy, MD, Ashley Tatus, MD — Implementation of a Standardized Order-Set to Conform to Evidence Based Best Practices for Management of Chronic Kidney Disease
- Anweshan Samanta, MD, Raj Shah, MD, Rakesh Ponnapureddy, MD, Yousaf Zafar, MD, Bindiya Marakkath, MD, Talal Asif, MD, Akshit Sharma, MD, Pramod Janga, MD, David Wooldridge, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Prevalence of Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Mellitus Among Patients Presenting to a Large Urban County Hospital: Importance of Implementing Appropriate Screening and Referral Process
- M. Shafiq, MD, S. Doran, DO, S. Jeepalyam, MD, L. Ya’Qoub, MD, S. Manthravadi, MD, S. Kankam, MD, H. Jarmakani, DO, M. Warsame, MD, D. Woodridge, MD, R. Mustafa, MD, S. Spielberg, MD, J. Banderas, PharmD — Decreasing time to paracentesis in patients admitted with ascites
- Jacob Shepherd, MD, Nicholas Miller, MD, Whitney Trusty, MD, Noushin Ansari, MD — Prospective Quality Improvement Study Comparing Usage of Apollo Sepsis App Verses Traditional Identification Method In Identifying Sepsis
- Scott Smith, PhD, Lisa Warren, MD, Linda Cooley, MD — Solid Tumor Chromosome Analysis: The Children’s Mercy Cytogenetics Database of Culture Methods
- Wood, Nikki, DO, Lauren Amos, MD, Nicholas Clark, MD, Chris Klockau, RPH, Kelly King, RN, Alan Gamis, MD, Karen Lewing, MD — Standardizing Medication Reconciliation for a Safe and Successful Discharge Home in Newly Diagnosed Pediatric Oncology Patients
- Edward Nabrinsky, MS5, Badar Hasan, MD, Talal Asif, MD — Betel Nut Use and Hyperglycemia
- Zafar Ali, MD, Talal Asif, MD — Call for Improved Patient Education: A Case of Diabetic Ketoacidosis
- Talal Asif, MD, Badar Hasan, MD, Rebecca Pauly, MD — An Appeal for Vigilance for Adverse Drug Events: A Case of Ibuprofen Induced Acute Hepatitis
- Talal Asif, MD, Badar Hasan, MD, Rebecca Pauly, MD — A Call for Vigilance Against Falls in the Hospital: A Case of Acute Post Traumatic Encephalopathy
- Talal Asif, MD, Amena Mohiuddin, Rebecca Pauly, MD — Importance of Thorough Physical Examination: A Lost Art
- Matt Goldschmidt, DO, Omar Abughanimeh, MD, Guy Fogg, MD, Mouhanna Abu Ghanimeh, MD, Ayman Qasrawi, MD, Daulath Singh, MD, Noel Torres-Acosta, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD, Kristin Gillenwater, DO, David Wooldridge, MD — To improve the quality of documentation in resident primary care clinics using standardized templates
- Badar Hasan, MD; Talal Asif, MD, Aamir Malik, MD — Rapidly growing mycobacterial infections: call for awareness
- Badar Hasan, MD; Talal Asif, MD, Amr Edrees, MD — Call for Vigilance – Red Flags in SLE
2016 Speakers & Presentations
James P. Bagian, MD, PE
Director, The Center for Healthcare, Engineering and Patient Safety
- Sarah Blake, MD, Yazan Ghanem, Johnathon Blake, Badar Hasan, Andre Arsenault, Sean Doran, Sola Kim, Daulath Singh, Shehabaldin Alqalyoobi, Ryan Eckert, Amanda Harrell, Rhea Bhargava, Kristin Gillenwater, Brent Beasley, MD, John Foxworth, PharmD, David Wooldridge, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Improving Compliance with Guideline Recommended Screening Measures of Health Maintenance in TMC-HH Clinics: Continuation of a QI Project
- Christina Davis-Kankanamge, MD, Julie Strickland, MD, Molly Carnahan, BA, Jeannette Higgins, RN, Tazim Dowlut-McElroy, MD — The Association Between Body Mass Index and Angrogen Levels in Adolescent Girls with Irregular Menses or Amenorrhea
- Sean Doran, MD, Mazen Shobassy, Muhammad Shafiq, Lina Ya’qoub, Sashi Manthravadi, Sravan Jeepalyam, Hani Alturkmani, Reem Mustafa, MD — Decreasing Time to Paracentesis in Patients Admitted with Ascites
- Hunter Farris, Matt Decker, Nial Castle, DO, Lawrence Dall, MD — Failure to Follow-up Abnormal Radiographic Findings
- Ingrid Hsiung, Bob Song, Asha Nookala, Abid Bhat, MD — How Many Patients do not make an Appointment with the Sleep Clinic after Referral by their Primary Care Physician
- Ponnapureddy, Rakesh, Reem Mustafa, MD, Alexandra Roman, Andre Arsenault, Hema Pamulapati, Talal Asif, Rehman Ukani, David Wooldridge, MD — Save the Blood: Reducing Inpatient Phlebotomy in Academic Hospital
- Thumar, Vishal, Edward Nabrinsky, Lawrence Dall, MD — Summary Box Impact on Provider Communication and Patient Throughput
- Wells, Corey, Sean Bonanni, Lyla Masters, RN, Jonathan Dubin, MD, Betty Drees, MD — Fracture Liaison Service Improves Post-Fracture Osteoporosis Care in Academic Setting
- Abdalla Abdelrazeq, Sibghat Tul Liah, Punita Grover, Lance Brandenburg, Devika Kapuria, Madhuri Ramakrishnan, Siva Taduru, David Wooldridge, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Optimization of Physician-Nurse Communication
- Seenu Abraham, Imran Nizamuddin, Lawrence Dall, MD — Distinctive Demographics and Prevalence of Ischemic vs. Non-ischemic Etiologies of Congestive Heart Failure at Truman Medical Center
- Himachandana Atluri, Rick Harlow, MD, Mike Dorsey, CEO, Lawrence Dall, MD — Geographic Rounding: Quality Outcomes
- Hanqing Bai, Jude-Patrick Okafor, Melvin Yeung, Sabato Sisillo, Lawrence Dall, MD — Increasing Appropriate Inhaler Use in Inpatient COPD Patients
- Amine Bourbia, Omar Samarah, Abdul Qazi, Nathan Sanderse, Hisham Elsherbiny, Ahmed Elkhanany, Paramdeep Baweja, Reem Mustafa, MD, David Wooldridge, MD — Evaluation of Telemetry Utilization at an Innter City Academic Medical Center
- Jasleen Ghuman, Charles Van Way III, MD — Improving Patient Care Through Assessment of Nutritional Status
- Aditya Gutta, Roomana Ahad, MD, Mouhanna Abu Ghanimeh, MD, Ayman Qasrawi, MD, Daulath Singh, MD, Guy Fogg, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD, Kristin Gillenwater, DO, David Wooldridge, MD — To Improve the Quality of Documentiaton in Resident Primary Care Clinics
- Osama Kaddourah, Erin Algeo, Salman Khan, Bhaskar Bhardwaj, Zaid Shmaisani, Hani Alturkmani, Nikolai Khromouchline, Reem Mustafa, MD — A Prospective Study on the Effects of Educational Intervention on Colonscopy Preparation
- Neil Kapil, Raj Shah, Sean Ghosh, Zara Wadood, Hima Veeramachaneni, Fadi Hamid, MD — Risk Factors for and Quantification of Radiation Exposure in IBD Patients
- Raksha Madhavan, Ravali Poreddy, Lawrence Dall, MD, Tom Simmons, MD — Preventing Falls in Hospitalized Patients
- Sruthi Patibandla, MD, Emily Tylski, Mohamed Omer, Chandra Stockdall, Mahathi Indaram, Rachael Brashears, Gene Kim, David Wooldridge, MD — Improving Accurate Daily Weights Recorded in Patients with CHF Exacerbation
- Adithi Reddy, Kavelin Rumalla, Sirisha Tumalapenta, Manoj Mittal, Lawrence Dall, MD — Assessing Quality of Patient Care in Pediatric Stroke Hospitalizations: An Analysis of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample
- Adithi Reddy, Valerie Hummel, Brittany Nwokeji, Elizabeth Onishchenko, Michael Phan, James Phillips, Nikita Rafie, Elizabeth Robin, Nicole Rogers, Kavelin Rumalla, Shane Storm, Valerie Rader, MD — The Effect of Night-Time Melatonin Administration on In-Hospital Quality of Sleep and Associated Outcomes in Patients Hospitalized with Stroke
- Kavelin Rumalla, Chester Yarbrough, MD, Ian Dorward, MD — Incidence and Risk Factors for Patient Safety Indicators and Hospital Acquired Conditions in Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
- Kavelin Rumalla, Chester Yarbrough, MD, Ian Dorward, MD — Assessing the Quality and Safety of Patient Care in Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Population-Based Nationwide Analysis
- Akshit Sharma, MD, Raj Shah, MD, Saiprasad Narsingham, MD, Betty Drees, MD — Increasing Identification of and Referrals to Community Based Lifestyle Intervention Program for Pre-Diabetics
- Arooge Towheed, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Implementation of a Standardized Order-set to Conform to Evidence-based Best Practices for Management of Chronic Kidney Disease
- Corey Wells, Lawrence Dall, MD, Olevia Pitts, MD — Sitting with Patients: A Method to Encourage Dialogue and Improve Patient Satisfaction
- Talal Asif, MD, Zara Wadood, Ravali Gummi, Kristy Steigerwalt, Rebecca Pauly, MD —An Unusual Presentation of Acute Appendicitis: How Dislodging Anchored Thinking Can Improve Patient Safety and Outcomes
- Christina Davis-Kankanamge, MD, Julie Strickland, MD, Tazim Dowlut-McElroy, MD — Vulvar Manifestations of Sjogren’s Syndrome in Adolescents
- Jacob Hanin, Mouhanna Abu Ghanimeh, MD, Aaron Jones, MD, John Foxworth, PharmD, Nurbanu Pirani, MD — Keep Calm, It’s Just an Abscess
- Brian Miremadi, Ankhita Samuel, Cody Braun, Lawrence Dall, MD — Hospital Acquired Hiccups: A Case Report
2015 Speakers & Presentations
Michael Handler, M.D.
Medical Director, Missouri Center for Patient Safety [/accordion] [accordion title=”Student Oral Presentations”]
- Isadore Tarantino — Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): How Effective is the Modified Mallampati Scoring Method?
- Rohit Saha, Ryan Eckert — Baseline Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (QIPS) Among Years 2-6 Students
- Peter Everson — Creating an Efficient Instrument Tray and Drape Pack for Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery
- Seenu Abraham, Peter Vayalil, Sagar Patel — Polypharmacy and Distinctive Demographics of Congestive Heart Failure Patients
- John Loftus, Nial Castle, Sandy Peterson — Antibiotic Stewardship: Improving Antibiotic Utilization in Hospitalized Patients
- Evan Martin — Spreading Awareness of Advanced Directives by Surveying Patients Knowledge and Beliefs the Impact on Documentation of Their Wishes
- Jeffrey Klott, Haley Merrill, Rajesh Rangarajan — Post-Fracture Pain Management: Do Orthopaedic Surgeons Adequately Design, Explain and Document Pain Control Regimens for Post-Fracture Patients
- Rohit Saha — Evaluation of Bronchiectasis in Patients with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Naman Agrawal, Kent Buxton, Matthew Decker, Caitlin Lamb, Hafsa Lodhi, Katie Payne, Jeffrey Wiegers — Influence of Interpreters on Emergency Room Interactions
- Andre Arsenault, MD, Hema Pamulapati, MD, Alexandra Roman, MD, Rakesh Ponnapureddy, MD, Govind Pandopatam, MD, Suzanne Miller, MD, Akshit Sharma, MD, Aly Abdelrahman, MD, Komal Piryani, MD, Ali Someili, MD — Increasing the Use of Aspirin for Primary Prevention in Continuity Clinic
- Sarah Blake, DO, Audrey Bearden, MD, Yazan Ghanem, MD, Amanda Harrell, DO, Rhea Bhargava, MD, Bhaskar Bhardwaj, MD, Reed Cope, MD, Shehabaldin Alqalyoobi, MD, Sood Kisra, MD, Ata Bajwa, MD, Reem Mustafa, MD — Improving Compliance of Guideline-Recommended Screening Measures of Health Maintenance in TMC-HH Clinics: A QI Project
- Hema Pamulapati, MD, Alexandra Roman, MD, Andre Arsenault, MD — Hospital Acquired Anemia: An Under-Reported and Preventable Problem
- Sood Kisra, MD, Saiprasad Narsingham, MD, Samrat Patel, MD, Mihir Brahmbhatt, MD, Asha George, Vritti Gupta, MD — Evaluation of the Reporting Process of the Tests Pending at Discharge in an Academic Hospital
- Nathan Sanderse, MD, Hisham Elsherbiny, MD, Mazen Shobassy, MD, Sean Doran, MD, Brett Bartels, MD, Hani El-Halawany, MD, Mir Fahad Faisal, MD, Sashidhar Manthravadi, MD, Hassan Salameh, MD, Aref Bin Abdulak, MD, Ajay Sekhon, PgCert — Improving Medication Reconciliation Completion in a Residents’ Primary Care Clinic
- Raj Shah, MD, Felicia Ratnaraj, Aditya Gutta, MD, Natasha Mathews, BS — Eating Smart Education in a Safety Net Hospital Population
- Raj Shah, MD, Beenish Ahmed, Neha Husain, Kirbi Yelorda, Hima Veermachaneni, Aditya Gutta, MD — Efficacy of Colorectal Cancer Screening Education Via CDC Pamphlet Versus Inflatable Colon
- Raj Shah, MD, Kristin Gillenwater, DO, Rebecca Pauly, MD — An Extension of the Residents as Teacher Curriculum: A Resident Led Docent Approach
- Raj Shah, MD, Kristin Gillenwater, DO — Improving Colorectal Cancer Screening in a Safety Net Hospital: Development and User Testing of a FIT Algorithm
- M. Abu Ghanimeh, MD, Nathan Bammes, MD, Talha Farid, MD, Dany Jacob, MD, Aditya Gutta, MD, Mohamed Omer, MD, Daulath Singh, MD, Roomana Ahad, MD, Emily Tylski, DO, A Gard — Residents Primary Care Clinic Patients’ Hand-Off: Quality Improvement Project to Improve Transition of Care
- Udit Bhatnagar, MD, Zaheer Ahmed, MD, Gurminder Dhillon, MD, Joshua Weir, DO, Mohannad Abu Omar, MD, Mohammed Ansari, MD, Arooge Towheed, MD, Sibghat Tul Llah, MD, Abdullah Abdelrazaq, MD, Sola Kim, MD — Tobacco Cessation Quality Improvement Pilot Project
- Arooge Towheed, MD, Udit Bhatnagar, MD, Aref Bin Abdulhak, MD — Overambitious Diabetic Control in Elderly
- Arooge Towheed, MD, Sibghat Tul Llah, MD, Salman Khan, MD, Bhaskar Bhardwaj, MD — Mollaret’s Meningitis
- Reid Waldman — Melanoma In-Situ in a Small Pox Vaccination Scar: A Case Report to Highlight the Importance Monitoring Burns and Scars to Improve Patient Safety
Inaugural Speakers & Presentations
Tejal K. Gandhi, M.D., M.H.P., C.P.P.S.
President, National Patient Safety Foundation and the Lucian Leape Institute and associate professor of medicine at the Harvard School of Medicine
- Ryan Eckert, Rohit Saha — Year 1 through 6 Baseline Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Patient Safety
- Evan Martin — Advanced Directive Initiative in Continuity Care Clinics
- Peter Vayalil, Sagar Patel — Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) and Polypharmacy
- Christopher Brett, Nicholas Gier — Follow up Contact Improves Patient Safety and Satisfaction in the TMC Medical Clinics
- McKenzie Lutz — Increasing Diabetes Education in the TMC Internal Medicine Clinics by a Self-Administered Quiz
- Apurva Bhatt, Peter Lazarz — MAKING THE SWEET CHANGE! An evaluation of the control of diabetes at the Sojourner Free Health Clinic
- Meena Subramanian — Not Your Typical Carpal Tunnel: Levaquin Induced Neuropathy
- Megan Litzau — Inaugural UMKC All Health Profession Schools Interprofessional Education Class: A Student Facilitator’s Perspective: “It is Everyone’s Role to Provide Safe Patient Care”
- Nikolai Khromouchkine — Whole Exome Sequencing and the Potential to Improve Diagnostic Workup for Genetic Disease
- Suzanne Miller — Review of Quality Improvement (QI) Curricula in Internal Medicine (IM) Residency Programs and Development of the UMKC IM QI Curriculum
- Eva Omoscharka, Priya Skaria, Kamani Lankachandra — Importance of follow up in patients with Papaniculaou test findings of endometrial cells. A Truman Medical Center experience.
- Hamid Zia — Improving Appropriateness of Blood Utilization through Prospective Review of Requests for Blood Products: The Role of Pathology Residents as Consultants
- Beth Rosemergey, Suzan M. Lewis — Improving NCAQ Compliance by Instituting Point-of-Care Hemoglobin A1C Evaluation
- Katie Jackson, Katie Barger — Depression Screening in Type 1 Diabetes
- Peter Almenoff — Predicting potentially avoidable hospitalizations
- Mamta Reddy — Building an Organizational Framework for Patient Safety and Systems Reliability
- Brent Beasley — Tackling Sepsis Mortality in the SLHS
- Shauna Roberts — Redesigning Systems and Processes of Care for Targeted Outcome Improvements