UMKC School of Medicine
Medical Scholars Program
The UMKC School of Medicine offers a Medical Scholars program that would offer early and guaranteed admission to college students interested in applying to medical school. This program would offer early admission into the School of Medicine's M.D. Program for students currently in their sophomore or junior year of college and who attend the following universities: UMKC, Truman State University, Rockhurst University, Drury University, Missouri Western State University, William Jewel College, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Park University and Blackburn College.
May 1: Medical Scholars Program Application becomes available.
Current college students may apply to the program during the summer between their sophomore and junior year or junior and senior year of college.
August 1: Application deadline.
The School of Medicine Medical Scholars program application is due by this date. All supporting documents must also be postmarked by this date, including college transcripts, personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation.
September: Offers to interview are extended.
Offers to interview will be extended via email.
September – October: Interviews take place.
All applicants selected for an interview must select and confirm a date for the interview. All applicants must interview in person at the School of Medicine. Phone interviews are not permitted.
November: Offers of admission are extended.
Students being offered early and guaranteed admission will be mailed an admissions packet notifying them of their acceptance and outlining the requirements of the Medical Scholars program. Students not offered early and guaranteed admission will also be notified in writing via U.S. mail.
Requirements for Consideration
In order to be considered for the Medical Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Attend an institution with whom UMKC has partnered with to offer the Medical Scholars program:
• Truman State University
• Rockhurst University
• Drury University
• Missouri Western State University
• William Jewel College
• Missouri University of Science and Technology
• Park University
• Blackburn College
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of the sophomore year.
Students will no longer be eligible if they have earned a grade of C or lower in science coursework.
- Students must present a full application which will include the following:
• Medical Scholars Program Application.
• College transcript displaying grades through the point of application.
• Personal statement or essay addressing the following:
What has motivated you to study medicine? Why are you interested in the UMKC Medical Scholars program?
• Résumé or CV, highlighting specific health care experiences.
• A minimum of three letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member.
Final Requirements for Students Admitted to the Medical Scholars Program
Matriculation to the UMKC School of Medicine is conditional upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a partner intitution prior to entering the School of Medicine.
- Earn a combined MCAT score of 26 or higher.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the following pre-requisite courses:
• General chemistry with lab – 2 semesters
• General biology with lab – 1 semester
• Organic chemistry – 1 semester
• Biochemistry (an upper level course with a grade of B- or better) – 1 semester
• Genetics – 1 semester
• Cell biology – 1 semester
• Mathematics (college algebra or higher) – 1 semester
• English – 2 semesters
• Humanities/Social Sciences – 2 semesters
• Students must earn a grade of B- or better in all pre-requisite coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic advisor or faculty member addressing professionalism.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation to the School of Medicine.
- Submit the School of Medicine Technical Standards sheet.
Instructions for Admission
An application will NOT be reviewed until all supporting documents have been received. When all application materials have been received, the Council on Selection in the School of Medicine will review all complete applications. All application materials must be postmarked by August 1.
Students applying for admission to the School of Medicine Medical Scholars Program must submit the following documents to:
UMKC School of Medicine
Office of Admissions, M1-103
Attn: Medical Scholars Program
2411 Holmes Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
- The School of Medicine Medical Scholars Program application
- Official college transcripts
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation. These should be submitted directly to the School of Medicine by professors, advisors, or others who can speak to your academic ability and personal characteristics.
After the review of all complete applications by the Council on Selection in the School of Medicine, candidates will be selected for interview. If selected for an interview, applicants will be required to be present at the date and time of the interview. All applicants invited to interview must interview in person at the School of Medicine. Phone interviews will not be permitted.
After all applicants invited have been interview, the Council on Selection will extend offers of guaranteed admission to those candidates who best qualify for the Medical Scholars Program. Applicants will be notified in writing of the decision. Admission to the Medical Scholars Program is reserved for one qualified student from each partner institution.